So what is The Complete Bible Overview – Part 1 all about?
There is a lot to the Bible and it can be tough to know where to start. Good News! This course is designed for those who want a guide through the Bible. We have broken this course into three parts. In Part 1, we start at the very beginning and go all the way up through the time of Samuel and the formation of the nation of Israel. Part 1 is the longest of the 3 because there are lot of foundational issues to get in place. If you are ready to begin learning the Bible as a whole, then you have come to the right place.
11 Course Sections | 68 Lessons | 5 Hours of Content
Introduction and Overview
- Get familiar with foundational concepts needed to to
- study the Bible as a whole
- Understand what the Bible is what it's main theme is (yes, there is one!)
- Learn what our role is in God's plan and the role of biblical and systematic theology
- Use this area for description text.Understand the events that happened before the creation of the physical realm
- Learn the timeline of events involved in the creation of the heavenly and earthly realms
- Take an in-depth look at Lucifer as well as mankind in God's creation order
- Examine the days of Creation in Genesis and discuss the differing views of the creation timeline
- Take a look at each of the days of Creation, particularly the 7th day
- Clarify the original the role that mankind was given over all of creation
- What exactly is the Fall of man, and why does it matter?
- Understand what was lost in the Fall and the result of Adam and Eve’s disobedience
- See the effect of the Fall on all of mankind, and see God’s response to fallen man
From Adam to Noah
- Explore the early effects of sin on mankind during the pre-historical period
- Learn about Cain, Abel & Seth and the importance of genealogies (such as Genesis 5!)
- Understand the days of Noah and what may have been the real reason for the Flood
The Flood to Abraham
- Learn about Noah, the Ark and the Flood itself
- See how the flood permanently changed the Earth and what happened after the Flood
- See the development of God’s rescue plan begin with Abraham
The Importance of Abraham
- Learn about Abraham’s massive importance to the Biblical timeline
- Understand why the Abrahamic Covenant is the backbone of all other biblical covenants
- See Abraham’s importance in both the Old Testament and New Testament
From Abraham to Joseph
- Discover the meaning of the important phrase “the seed of Abraham” and what it means to be chosen by God
- Follow Abraham’s family line through Isaac & Jacob
- See how incredibly crucial Joseph is to the overall biblical storyline, as well as the role of Egypt
Moses, Exodus and Law
- Follow the biblical storyline to Moses and see his unique and massive importance in the Bible
- Learn the events of the Passover and the Exodus out of Egypt
- Go deep into the importance of Mosaic Law and it’s role within the rest of the biblical timeline
From Moses to Samuel
- See how idolatry, complaining and unbelief affect the children of Israel after they leave Egypt
- Follow the development of leadership from Moses to Joshua
- Learn about “the cycle” the plagued Israel’s history and the Judges that God raised up in His name
Part 2 Overview
- Get an overview of the nation of Israel from the time of Samuel until the coming of Christ
- Learn what the 12 major events in Israel’s history are
- See how the events connect to one another and how God is faithful to Israel through it all
Q&A with Pastor Bodie about The Complete Bible Overview - Part 1
Why is this Course So Long?
Like most of the courses on YouCanLearntheBible.com, The Complete Bible Overview Part 1 was a course I taught at my church. I had never undertaken a complete overview of the entire Bible before, and so I didn't know how it was going to go. It turned out to be 24 weeks (sections) total! That is why the course is broken up into 3 parts.
The way that it is broken up here is simply based on how I taught it in person. If I were to create it online first, I would have broken it up differently, but this is how I did it.
There is obviously a lot to cover when you try and tackle the whole Bible, but there is always stuff that is left out. I did my best to slow down on the most important things and summarize others. The real reason that Part 1 is longer than the other two was simply that I more teaching weeks when I taught it.
Do I have to go through Part 1 before I go through Parts 2 and 3?
Not necessarily, but it will obviously help if you want to grasp how all of the ideas work together and build upon each other.
I have intentionally structured it so that Part 1 is not a required prerequisite for Parts 2 and 3 because someone may want to jump right into later content first. I wanted people's learning experience to be based on their needs before my structure.
As a passionate learner myself, I know that sometimes the best way to learn is to jump into what you are interested right now, and that will often lead you backwards in the timeline just as much as forward! I like the ability for people to go in whatever order they want.
What Were Your Main Resources and Influences?
This was the biggest teaching project I have ever undertaken! The Complete Bible Overview (all 3 parts) took a full year to build and I had some amazing help that was absolutely essential.
From an overview standpoint the most important resource for me was The Bible Fast Forward taught by Greg Koukl of Stand to Reason. This has been an essential tool for my understanding of the Bible.
Also very helpful (especially in the earlier sections of Genesis) was Chuck Missler's Learn the Bible in 24 hours.
The majority of the later sections of Part 2 and 3 were really built by assembling tools that I own within Accordance Bible Software. The maps, timeline and various commentary modules that I own really helped bring this course to life.